Saving Money on Growing Babies & School Shopping
Written by: Kristin Myers
Let’s face it, kids grow fast! It feels like just yesterday that I was bringing my precious baby home for the first time, swimming in his newborn sized outfit. Five years later, that same outfit looks like the perfect dress up prop for a toy doll. I wish that my pocketbook grew as fast as he did!
Fortunately, I have found a way to dress my boys in the best, while saving a ton of money; shopping a Consignment Event. It only happens in the Spring and Fall, but I stock up for the entire season and spend about what I would during a regular shopping trip. With the school year just beginning, I am looking forward to shopping at the Babies, Tots n’ More Consignment Event next week.
The sale features thousands of quality, new or very gently-used kids’ and maternity items, including children’s clothing (through Youth size 16), shoes, toys, books, games, baby equipment, furniture, n’ more.
PLUS...VIP PRESALE ACCESS & GIFT CERTIFICATE GIVEAWAY:
***Comment below by 12:00 noon on Sept. 25 & tell us what you'll be shopping for chance to win a $25 Gift Certificate to the Fall Chicago-South Event and a VIP presale pass which lets you in the door at 4:00 pm on Friday, September 27th. Get the 1st look and save big! Winner will be selected at random and contacted via email.***
New to consignment sale shopping? Make the most of your shopping experience; follow these “navigation tips” from the experts at ConsignmentMommies.com:
1. Strollers/Baby Equipment/Furniture is your first stop if you are in need of a new car seat or other piece of equipment.
2. After equipment, shop the shoes first. If you're looking for shoes, especially in the larger sizes, hit that section right away. Kids can wear shoes out fast, and there is usually a smaller selection of shoes than clothing. Don't forget to make a footprint cut-out before the event to make sure the shoes will fit.
3. Boys' clothes after shoes. I'm not sure if it's because boys are harder on their clothes, or because there is just less variety in boys' clothes, but there are always fewer boy racks, and the boy clothes are often priced higher. Hit those before the girls' so you can find the better clothes and better bargains.
4. Be careful in the girls' section! The girls' section of consignment sales is some kind of shopping cryptonite.
6. Don't forget accessories like socks, hats, etc.
7. Save toys and books for last, and be discriminating.The toy section can be overwhelming, to say the least. Head into it with specific ideas for your kids. You can find some great deals on books, so save some energy to refresh your child’s library.
We have one addition to the experts’ suggestions; don’t forget to make a list. It is easy to become distracted and lose sight of what you really need. Grab those items first, and then shop for “the wants”. Lastly, Have Fun! This is one shopping experience you can feel proud about.
The Babies, Tots n’ More Fall Chicago-South public sale is September 28 at 9848 S. Winchester (near 99th and Damen), in the Beverly neighborhood. Don't forget to enter the NPN giveaway for access to our VIP presale on September 27. For more information about early shopping for Volunteers, Consignors, and First Time Moms, visit our website at www.babiestotsconsignment.com .Posted on September 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM