Declutter, Earn Cash & Help Other Families! PLUS VIP GIVEAWAY
Written by: Kristin Myers
No one ever told me that when I decided to have children, I was also volunteering to forfeit a large portion of my home. City living can be a challenge when space is limited and… kids need so much stuff! Fortunately, there is a smart (and profitable) way to recycle your children’s gently used items while also helping other families with their bottom line. Participate in a seasonal consignment event.
The Chicago based Babies, Tots n’ More Consignment Events feature maternity items and anything kid-related, up to youth size 16. All brands are accepted as long as the items are in great condition. You set your own prices, and we sell them for you. Sound incredible? It is! This past Spring, our average consignor earned $235, and several earned over $1,000.
Selling at our event is easy:
- Register as a consignor at www.babiestotsconsignment.com
- Use our on-line database to price your items
- Drop off your prepared items at our sale venue
- Pick up your unsold items, or have us donate them for you (tax deductable)
- We send you a check for up to 70% of the profit within two weeks of the event!
At our Fall 2013 Event: We anticipate 1,200+ shoppers, and over 23,000 items
Moms travel from throughout Chicagoland to shop, the exposure for your items is incredible. Parents are delighted to be able to purchase great items for their children, even if they have a limited budget.
Following the event, all unsold items are sorted, and consignors have the option of picking them up, or allowing them to be donated to local charities on their behalf. “Giving back” to the community is another reason to feel good about consigning.
New to participating in Consignment Events? Here are a few tips:
- Choose your Items according to season & marketability. Seasonal consignment events happen twice a year and only feature items for the upcoming season.
Gather the materialsthat you need in order to prepare your items for sale. The tagging process runs a lot smoother when you have all of your “tools” handy. Here’s a general list of what you may need:
- Packing Tape
- Safety Pins
- Zip-top bags
- Sharpie Pen
Here’s a tip: All may be found reasonably priced at the Dollar Tree.
- Be realistic about pricing - Check out Craigslist to get a sense of the going prices. Ask yourself what you would pay for something at one of these sales and price accordingly. Generally 1/4-1/3 of the retail is a good rule of thumb. People will generally pay more for boutique or high end brands. Remember it’s about supply and demand.
- Don’t be emotionally attached to the items you are selling. Just because you loved it and have fond memories of your child using it, doesn’t make it priceless to everyone else. Treat it as if you’ve never seen it before and ask yourself what you would realistically pay for it.
We would love to have you participate in our event. For more information and to sign up as a consignor, check out the Babies, Tots n’ More website at www.babiestotsconsignment.com. There you will find everything you need to get started, including a helpful pricing guide. Our Fall Northside Event will be held at Lil Kickers, located at 2640 W. Bradley Place. We are open to the public on August 30-31, 2013. Consignors, volunteers and first-time moms shop our pre-sale on August 29th. Not able to make that event? Check our website for details about our Fall Southside event.
GIVEAWAY: The August 29th, 4pm VIP pre-sale is the hottest ticket to the event, and NPN is the only place where you can win a set! Gain access to shop before the First-Time Moms, general public, and even the consignors. To enter, tell us in a comment below, what is the #1 item you want to VIP shop! One winner will be selected on Tuesday, August 13 at 5:00pm and notified via email.Posted on August 06, 2013 at 10:49 AM