Loving Your Post Baby Body
Written by: Elise Jaffe
Feeling good about your post baby body isn’t an easy task. In fact, feeling good about your body is NEVER an easy task. Like many women I’ve struggled with my own body image for years. Much of that is because I love food, and as people who know me will tell you, I have a pretty hearty appetite for a woman. There have been a few times in my life when I’ve looked in the mirror and said “ok, I can live with this”. Strangely enough one of those times is now. Sure I’m still carrying a few extra pounds on my belly but I look at them and remember that I carried my daughter in there for 9 months, its like a battle scar I’m proud of. Sure my boobs have shrunk to smaller than they were in high school, but I love how little they are (unless they shrink more and my belly gets bigger than them).
I loved being pregnant and I love exercise. I was the one on a spin bike until 4 days before I gave birth and in yoga 2 days before. I truly believe that helped me with my labor and delivery but also just kept my head on straight throughout the 9 months. It made me really in tune with my body and I respected all that it was doing.
Making time for myself post baby was very important to me. Exercise has always been the best thing I have to keep me grounded and let’s be honest, has allowed me to support my love for food. I have the luxury of a flexible work schedule and very helpful husband but even if I didn’t have those things I’d find a way to work exercise into my everyday life. It makes me a better mother, wife, boss and friend. Do I really have time to do it? No, but I’d rather be a little more tired each day knowing I’ve done something for myself and my body. That’s why I wake up at 5:30am to “get it out of the way”. Some people aren’t exercisers but for those who were before – there IS a way after. It may mean less sleep, it may mean a late night trip to the gym, it may mean running or biking to work (if you are like me that requires a shower at the office) but I truly believe it’s worth it.
- Get off the train or bus a few stops early and walk.
- Instead of driving your child to school (if its not to far) walk it.
- My favorite... remind your partner that in order to get a pre-baby body back they need to watch the kids while you go on a bike ride or go to the gym.
- Tote your tot around in a baby carrier and walk some stairs. Its fun for them and a great workout for your legs.
- Sticking the the carrier theme...clean the house while baby is in the carrier!
- Egg white scramble with mushrooms and onions on English muffin with slice light cheese and veggie bacon or sausage.
- Scrambled egg whites with light feta and Gardenburger or Dr. Preager's California burger chopped up inside too!
- Veggie Chilaquiles: Corn tortillas (not chips) soaked in enchilada sauce, scrambled eggs and any veggies. Top with fat free sour cream and avocado.
- Frittata with sundried tomato, basil and sautéed portobella. Add small eggbeaters box (shake box), pour in with veggies and cook for 2 minutes. Top with feta, put in oven for 10-15 Minutes
- A Fooditude Favorite: Tortilla Pizza
What other ways have you found to squeeze exercise and healthy meals into your day?
Photo courtesy: http://fooditude.tv/kitchen/tortilla-pizzaPosted on September 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM