Secrets to Getting the Best Deals at Consignment Events
Written by: Kristin Myers
Spring is here and my kids seem to grow as fast as the weeds. All of the clothes from last year are outgrown and ready for a new home. Fortunately, I have found a way to dress my boys in the best, while saving a ton of money; shopping a Consignment Event. It only happens twice a year, but I stock up for the entire season and spend about what I would during a regular shopping trip. With summer quickly approaching, I am looking forward to shopping at the Babies, Tots n’ More Consignment Event and buying a new wardrobe for my kids.
The sale features thousands of quality, new or very gently-used kids’ and maternity items, including children’s clothing (through Youth size 16), shoes, toys, books, games, baby equipment, furniture, n’ more. With over 22,000 items anticipated at our event, there is something for everyone!
New to consignment sale shopping? Make the most of your shopping experience; follow these “navigation tips” from the experts at ConsignmentMommies.com:
1. Strollers/Baby Equipment/Furniture is your first stop if you are in need of a new car seat or other piece of equipment.
2. After equipment, shop the shoes first. If you're looking for shoes, especially in the larger sizes, hit that section right away. Kids can wear shoes out fast, and there is usually a smaller selection of shoes than clothing. Don't forget to make a footprint cut-out before the event to make sure the shoes will fit.
3. Boys' clothes after shoes. I'm not sure if it's because boys are harder on their clothes, or because there is just less variety in boys' clothes, but there are always fewer boy racks, and the boy clothes are often priced higher. Hit those before the girls' so you can find the better clothes and better bargains.
4. Be careful in the girls' section! The girls' section of consignment sales is some kind of shopping cryptonite.
5. Don't forget accessories like socks, hats, etc.
6. Save toys and books for last, and be discriminating. The toy section can be overwhelming, to say the least. Head into it with specific ideas for your kids. You can find some great deals on books, so save some energy to refresh your child’s library.
We have one addition to the experts’ suggestions; don’t forget to make a list. It is easy to become distracted and lose sight of what you really need. Grab those items first, and then shop for “the wants”. Lastly, Have Fun! This is one shopping experience you can feel proud about.
The Babies, Tots n’ More Spring public sale is April 10 – 11 at Daystar School, 1550 S. State Street in Chicago’s South Loop neighborhood. For more information about early shopping for Volunteers, Consignors, and Sneak Peek Pre-sale ticket holders visit our website at www.babiestotsconsignment.com.Posted on April 01, 2015 at 1:46 PM