Make $$$ This Spring!
Written by: Kristin Myers
Spring is here! It’s time. Time to purge your kid’s closet and toy box of all those items that they simply don’t use anymore.
Instead of the usual practice of dropping off overstuffed garbage bags at your local thrift store, consider another option that will both streamline your closet AND improve your finances: sell your gently used items on consignment.
Worried that it will be too much work and not worth the effort? Think again. Here are a few tips from our six consignors that earned over $1,000 at our last event. Let their advice help you unlock the liquidity that’s hiding in your kid’s room.
· Examine your items with a highly critical eye. Being honest with yourself about the condition of your clothing will save time and energy. Items that are not in great condition will not be accepted or sold in the end.
· Do your research. Search the Internet and find the original retail price, you can even print the page and attach it to the package. This is a great selling point for high-demand items, like designer items or baby gear (strollers, high chairs, etc…).
· Don’t price all brands the same. Lower end, lower prices. Higher end? Higher (but not too high) prices. There’s a pricing guide on the Babies, Tots n’ More website if you need help. Price items higher if they are new with tags
· Iron, snap, and tie. That extra minute of styling goes a long way. A quick hit with the iron on certain items will make ALL the difference, and get your stuff SOLD!
· Group items together, for example a bag of dinosaur books or several small baby toys into one package.
· Don’t overprice your items. Your goal is to get rid of the things that you no longer need. With that in mind, try to take emotion out of it (awww, she looked so adorable in that dress) and steer your brain toward what you’d pay for it (if I were buying that dress right now, I wouldn’t pay more than xxx).
Follow these tips and get ready to earn cash on your child’s gently loved items.
We would love to have you participate in our event. For more information and to sign up as a consignor, vendor, or volunteer, check out the Babies, Tots n’ More website at www.babiestotsconsignment.com. Our Spring Event will be held at 1550 S. State Street in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago. The event is free and open to the public on April 10-11, 2015. Consignors, volunteers and first-time moms, and Sneak Peek ticket holders shop our pre-sale on April 9th.Posted on March 12, 2015 at 9:44 AM